Leader in natural, organic pet food showcases more than 60 new all-natural food & treat items at pet industry show
ORLANDO, Fla. (March 12, 2014) – Building on a heritage of quality and innovation in the natural pet food segment, Merrick Pet Care Inc. is continuing its momentum with the introduction of a game-changing lineup of more than 60 new all-natural food and treat recipes for dogs. This week at Global Pet Expo, the pet industry’s largest annual trade show, Merrick will showcase its 2014 innovation news including full lines of all-natural treats, new humanized canned dog food recipes, and expanded grain-free recipes for dogs.
“Many pet parents believe their dog is the best dog ever, and to honor that relationship they seek the very best for their dog, including food choices that make every mealtime special with quality, nutrition and taste,” said Mark Sapir, vice president of marketing for Merrick Pet Care, Inc. “This and other insights drove us in our development of our new items that we believe surpass many of the options currently available in the marketplace.”
The Better Way to “Treat” Dogs
Natural treats are experiencing significant growth as pet parents search out high quality, USA-made & China ingredient-free treats for their dogs.
To meet the demand for healthier and safe treat alternatives for dogs, Merrick is introducing a series of all-natural treats from both the Merrick and Castor & Pollux families of brands.
“Our powerful lineup of new treats from both Merrick and Castor & Pollux are infused with the passion, innovation and quality that we’re known for. Like our food, we use only the finest natural ingredients in our treats, and we bring an assurance of quality to pet parents with our made-in-the-USA and no-ingredients-from-China promises,” said Sapir. “Plus, all of our treats have a great taste dogs will love.”
From the Merrick brand, three new grain-free, gluten-free treat lines include:
- Merrick Kitchen Bites: Oven-baked biscuits based on Merrick’s innovative and award-winning classic can recipes. These treats start with real deboned meat as the No. 1 ingredient for high-quality protein; include fresh fruits and vegetables; and are also grain-free and gluten-free unlike biscuits that include rice and wheat. Available in six flavors; in 6-oz. bags with a suggested retail price of $6.99.
- Merrick Power Bites: Soft and chewy all-natural treats with industry-leading levels of powerful protein packed into every bite, including several flavors that start with deboned meat as the No. 1 ingredient. These small star-shaped treats are perfect for training and rewarding dogs, and in addition to being grain-free and gluten-free, these treats contain no sorbic acid. Available in six flavors; in 6-oz. bags with a suggested retail price of $6.99.
- Merrick Dental Chews: New all-natural dental chews that come in innovative shapes and textures to combat plaque and tartar and freshen breath. Compared to other dental treats, Merrick Dental Chews are grain-free and gluten-free and are made with all-natural ingredients and without sorbic acid or sodium copper chlorophylin. Available in five varieties, including Flossies, Texas Toothpicks, and three sizes of bones: Mini Brush Bones, L’il Brush Bones and Big Brush Bones. Merrick Dental Chews come in 5- to 11.7-oz. bags with a suggested retail price of $16.99.
From Castor & Pollux come two new treat lines, including:
- ORGANIX Jerky Chip Cookies: All-natural oven-baked cookie treats with organic whole grains and protein-rich jerky chips from chicken, salmon, beef or lamb. The cookies also contain organic fruits and vegetables like organic peas, organic apples and organic carrots, and contain no corn, soy or wheat. The cookies are available in four flavors including Oatmeal & Salmon, Oatmeal & Beef, Oatmeal & Lamb, as well as Oatmeal & Chicken that is made with 95 percent organic ingredients (including organic chicken) and can bear the USDA Organic logo on the front of the bag. Available in 10-oz. bags with a suggested retail price of $6.99.
- Good Buddy All American Nibs: Soft and chewy all-natural treats for dogs are ideal for training and rewards. These treats are grain-free, gluten-free, without sorbic acid, and they’re packed with protein in every bite from real deboned meat as the No. 1 ingredient in many flavors. Fresh fruits and vegetables add nutrition and taste. Available in six flavors; in 6-oz. bags with a suggested retail price of $6.99.
Leading the Humanization of Pet Food
Building on the brand’s award-winning classic can line, Merrick is introducing four new canned recipes for dogs that take mealtime to a new hedonic level.
“We’re recognized for our high quality, innovative and humanized canned dog food recipes, like Wingaling, Brauts N Tots and Grammy’s Pot Pie,” said Sapir. “We’re introducing new Merrick Chunky Cans as the next evolution of that legacy, four new recipes for dogs with big chunks of carved meat, hand-stuffed real vegetables, and hearty gravy for a high level of visual appeal and aroma for pet parents, and a meaty and delicious taste for dogs.”
Four new grain-free Merrick Chunky Can flavors include:
- Pappy’s Pot Roast Dinner, made with big chunks of beef and hand-stuffed red jacket new potatoes and carrots in gravy.
- Carver’s Delight Dinner, made with big chunks of turkey and hand-stuffed Yukon gold potatoes and carrots in gravy.
- Big Texas Steak Tips Dinner, made with big chunks of beef in gravy.
- Colossal Chicken Dinner, made with big chunks of chicken and hand-stuffed peas and carrots in gravy.
Merrick Chunky Cans are available in 12.7-oz. cans with a suggested retail price of $2.79.
Seizing the Grain-Free Trend
Beginning in 2012, Merrick has been revolutionizing its portfolio with expanded grain-free dry and canned dog food recipes, as well as the 2013 introduction of Purrfect Bistro, a grain-free line of dry and canned foods for cats.
Now, Merrick is bolstering its grain-free menu of offerings even further with new introductions at Global Pet Expo.
“Grain-free now accounts for 40 percent of all natural dog food sold in pet specialty stores, which reflects an increased demand among pet parents seeking the benefits of a grain-free diet for their pet, from allergy management to easier digestibility to healthier skin and coat,” said Sapir. “We’ve grown our grain-free options to provide even more protein choices and life stage options.”
New grain-free options throughout the portfolio include:
- Four new Merrick grain-free dry recipes for dogs including: Grain Free Real Salmon + Sweet Potato (grain-free fish recipe with industry-leading 34 percent protein); Grain Free Lamb + Sweet Potato (new high-protein, poultry-free, grain-free lamb recipe, with leading 30 percent protein); Grain Free Puppy Recipe to provide puppies with a grain-free option; and Grain Free Healthy Weight Recipe (a nutritious and palatable recipe with a smart protein balance of lean meat plus animal and plant protein). Merrick Grain Free dry recipes are sold in 4 lb., 12 lb., and 25 lb. bags at $17.99, $37.99 and $58.99 suggested retail prices.
- Earlier this year, Merrick relaunched its Whole Earth Farms line of nutritious dog food for pet parents seeking natural options at a good value. As part of the new and improved recipe line up, Whole Earth Farms now includes two grain-free dry recipes: Grain-Free Recipe Beef + Lamb (poultry-free) and Grain-Free Recipe Chicken + Turkey, and all seven Whole Earth Farms canned recipes are grain-free, including four loaf recipes and three new Hearty Stew Recipes. (For more information about Whole Earth Farms, visit www.feedgoodness.com).
About Merrick Pet Care
Founded in 1988, Amarillo-based Merrick Pet Care, Inc. is a leader in natural and organic pet food. With a mission to create the most nutritious and wholesome food, Merrick families take better care of their pets by cooking up nutritious real whole foods for pets. All foods are made in the USA using only the freshest ingredients grown by local farmers and no ingredients from China. The company offers a wide variety of dry and wet foods, as well as treats, that are available nationally at independent pet specialty stores, Petco, and online via select retailers. In April 2012, Merrick Pet Care Inc. acquired Castor & Pollux and its ORGANIX, Natural Ultramix and Good Buddy food and treats for pets. These brands are available at PetSmart, Petco, natural grocery, and online via select retailers. For more information, visit www.merrrickpetcare.com or www.castorpolluxpet.com.
# # #
EDITOR’S NOTE: A full list of 2014 new product information, fact sheets, and photos are available by request.
To schedule an interview or for more information, contact Betsy Berger at email@example.com or by phone at 847-865-9723.
Betsy Berger, Communications Manager
Merrick Pet Care