BRISTOL, IN (July 1, 2013) – Join the Humane Society of Elkhart County as they celebrate the furry loved ones in your life at Pet Fest. The event, open to all pets and their people, will be held on Saturday, August 17 with games for kids and pets, a costume contest, an agility course and much more! Pet Fest will be held on National Homeless Animal Day as a way to honor the thousands of animals that enter animal shelters every year.
“Pet Fest is the perfect family fun event to celebrate the pets in our life, including the ones that have yet to be adopted,” said Anne Reel, Director of the Humane Society of Elkhart County. “We want to celebrate the joy pets provide, but also increase awareness of the animals still waiting for a place to call home.”
Pet Fest will be full of fun activities for you and your pet including:
- Free toys will be available to all pets at registration.
- Visit the Pet Related Vendors including kennels, groomers, bakeries and more!
- There will also be a group pet blessing and memorial prayer for homeless animals at 11:30 am at the gazebo. Individual Pet Blessings will also be offered by Reverend Amy Debeck.
- Contests include Canine/Owner Water Relay (you carry water while walking your dog), Dogs Dunking for Dogs (dogs retrieving hot dogs floating in water), and Musical Hoops (similar to musical chairs). Contests will begin at 12:00 and all contest winners will be awarded a prize.
- A Costume Contest will begin 1:30 pm. Categories include Cutest Costume, Owner/Pet Look-A-Like, and Most Unusual Pet. A $25 Gift Certificate to the Red Barn Resale Shop will be awarded to the winner of each category.
- On-Leash Agility Course – All the fun without the competition! Planet Canine will conduct an on leash agility course and demonstrations. Every participating pet will get a reward!
- Photography will be on site to take your pet’s picture.
- Free Refreshments will be offered to all pets and their human companions. Dog water bowls and splash pools will also be available to keep your pet cool and comfortable!
- Ron’s River Dogs Hot Dog Stand will be selling their delicious food.
- Red Barn Resale Shop will be open during Pet Fest and offering 25 percent off all items!
- Don Kilgren and the SL4 Band will provide musical entertainment.
To ensure a healthy environment, all pets need to be up to date on their rabies and other vaccinations.
No pet to bring to Pet Fest? No problem! The Humane Society of Elkhart County will have animals available for adoption. We’re even offering pet adopters the chance to adopt a second animal companion FREE!
WHEN: Saturday, August 17, 11 am – 2 pm
WHERE: Humane Society of Elkhart County, 54687 County Road 19, Bristol, IN
About the Humane Society of Elkhart County
Since 1939 the Humane Society of Elkhart County has been proud to serve our county with animal adoption and educational programs. The Humane Society of Elkhart County, an independent nonprofit, is on the front lines protecting the orphaned, unwanted and defenseless animals. For more information or how to get involved with the Humane Society of Elkhart County, please visit www.elkharthumanesociety.org.