Is Your Pet Trying to Tell You Something?
PetSafe® urges pet owners to learn more about proper pet hydration this July
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (June 27, 2017) – On a mission to educate pet owners about the importance of providing pets with access to clean, filtered water, especially during the hot and humid summer months, PetSafe® brand will host the fourth annual Pet Hydration Month this July.
“While many pet parents are active with their pets all year long, it’s common for dogs, and even cats, to spend extra time outdoors during the summer months when it’s extremely hot and dehydration is more common, said Sarah Beene, category manager for PetSafe water and feed solutions. “It’s important that pet owners know what to do if their pet becomes dehydrated. But more importantly, they should be familiar with the steps needed to prevent it from happening.”
According to Allison Smith, veterinarian at Village Veterinarian Medical Center in Knoxville, Tennessee, common symptoms of pet dehydration include:
- Vomiting and/or diarrhea
- Lack of energy
- Excessive and ongoing panting
- Loss of appetite
- Sunken, dry eyes
- Dry and sticky gums
- Loss of skin elasticity (when pulled or moved, the skin will not go back to its original place)
PetSafe brand has developed a video to help pet parents learn how to administer a test that will determine if a pet is dehydrated. If a pet parent suspects that their pet might be dehydrated, they should take him or her to a veterinarian immediately where they can monitor the pet closely and administer IV fluids.
During the summer when pets are spending more time outdoors in the sun, pet parents can ensure that their dogs and cats are receiving enough fresh, filtered water by using a convenient, indoor or outdoor pet fountains.
“Our pets’ bodies are made up of 80 percent water. They need 1 ounce of water per pound of body weight each day,” said Beene. “Providing filtered water entices them to drink more, which supports vital organ functions and is important digestion and waste removal.”
PetSafe brand offers a variety of modern fountains to meet all pet and pet parents’ needs, including:
- PetSafe® Drinkwell® Seascape Pet Fountain (*COMING SOON*) — Available in a stylish gray, this ceramic, dishwasher-safe fountain is whisper quiet and continuously circulates 70 ounces of filtered water. It will be available to ship July, 2017.
- PetSafe® Drinkwell® Pagoda Pet Fountain — Great for small to medium sized pets, this ceramic fountain comes in four different colors. Its upper and lower dishes and dual free-falling streams provide two drinking areas for pets, and it keeps water tasting fresh.
- PetSafe Drinkwell Outdoor Dog Fountain — Made with high-impact UV-resistant plastic, this durable fountain holds 3.5 gallons of water and can be placed inside the home or outdoors when temperatures are above 40°F.
- PetSafe Drinkwell Everflow Indoor/Outdoor Pet Fountain — Best for large dogs or dogs who tend to splash water, this fountain holds 1.5 gallons of water and can also be used outdoors by connecting it to a standard garden hose.
- PetSafe Drinkwell Stainless 360 Multi-Pet Fountain — The 360’s circular design and multiple streams with adjustable flow settings, and its circular design, allow pets to drink from any angle, making it great for multiple pet households.
- PetSafe Drinkwell® Sedona Pet Fountain — Boasting a trendy, cutting-edge design and 100-ounce water capacity, this fountain is great for pets of all sizes or multiple pet households and was also featured on DIY Network’s Blog Cabin Mountain Retreat 2015.
In addition to keeping pets healthy and happy in the summer, proper hydration helps pets all year long with things like:
- Preventing urinary tract infections and urinary disease. Unlike the food humans eat, dry dog and cat foods have very low moisture levels. If a pet doesn’t drink a lot of water, consider adding water to their dry food or incorporating wet food into their diet. Cats with low water intake may experience urinary tract infections or even urinary stones and crystals that can cause urethral obstruction.
- Aiding with energy levels and temperature regulation. Water helps pets convert fat to energy. If a pet drinks enough water throughout the day, they will have the energy to play outside or go on a walk. Water intake also cools the body and helps them maintain a consistent and healthy body temperature.
- Speeding recovery time from sickness or surgery. Drinking water can help promote healthy kidney function and flush toxins from their bodies. This is important after a bout of sickness or during the recovery process after a major surgery.
Pet owners looking to learn more about why proper pet hydration is so important can visit www.petsafe.net/hydration.
About the PetSafe® Brand
PetSafe® Brand is an industry leader in the development of innovative pet behavioral, containment and lifestyle product solutions. PetSafe® Brand is owned by Radio Systems® Corporation and headquartered in Knoxville, Tenn. For more information, please visit www.petsafe.com or connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
# # #