Leading Pet Brands Join Forces with Animal Welfare Filmmaker to Premiere Film Series Online To Increase Shelter Pet Adoptions
LOS ANGELES (May 25, 2016) – The Petco Foundation, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance, Lumina Media and “Shelter Me” Filmmaker Steven Latham will premiere the national PBS series, “Shelter Me,” online for free. The first five episodes of this inspiring series will stream on ShelterMe.tv beginning May 25.
Each one-hour episode is hosted by a celebrity animal lover including, Jon Hamm, Jane Lynch, Allison Janney, Katherine Heigl and Edie Falco. Filmmaker Steven Latham created the “Shelter Me” series because he wants communities to get involved with their local animal shelters and help by adopting, fostering, donating, volunteering or by networking animals through social media.
“The best way to increase pet adoptions at our shelters is to tell stories that show how incredible these animals are,” said Latham. “By offering this content online for free, we will be able to reach a broader audience to inspire people to visit their local shelters and learn all the things they can do to help and make a difference.”
“We are thrilled to partner with Shelter Me to highlight these inspirational stories of pet adoption and bring them to a wider audience,” said Petco Foundation executive director Susanne Kogut. “These stories while very different all show that love changes lives and when we are motivated to help animals in need sometimes even entire communities are changed for the better.”
Following is a summary of the five episodes of “Shelter Me” that are available at ShelterMe.tv:
- Episode 1 – “Shelter Me: Hope & Redemption” is hosted by Katherine Heigl and features female prisoners that train shelter dogs to become service animals. We also see a story about two U.S. veterans that begin healing from PTSD after they are paired up with shelter dogs and we experience the journey of two stray dogs who go from the streets to becoming beloved family pets. Trailer: http://www.shelterme.tv/episodes/episode-1/?s=s0
- Episode 2 – “Shelter Me: Let’s Go Home” is hosted by Jane Lynch and features an organization that works with firefighters and other first responders to train shelter dogs for search-and-rescue. We also see the positive impact a mobile spay-neuter clinic is having on a community and a story about shelter dogs that become therapy dogs and bring comfort to patients and their families in hospitals. Trailer: http://www.shelterme.tv/episodes/episode-2/?s=s0
- Episode 3 – “Shelter Me: Second Chances” is hosted by Edie Falco and features an organization that pairs up shelter dogs with juveniles in a detention facility. This program provides hope and life-long lessons for the young inmates. A spoken word artist delivers an emotional performance reminding us about all the incredible shelter pets that are waiting for loving homes and a professional photographer takes a groups of kids into a shelter to show how taking great pictures can help get more pets adopted. Trailer: http://www.shelterme.tv/episodes/episode-3/?s=s0
- Episode 4 – “Shelter Me: New Beginnings” is hosted by Allison Janney and features volunteer pilots that fly shelter pets to safety. We also see a nationally recognized animal trainer who teaches shelters how to safely do doggie play groups. The goal is get each dog out of their kennel to play in groups every day. These play groups enhance the health and well-being of the dogs and dramatically increases their chances for adoption. Trailer: http://www.shelterme.tv/episodes/episode-4/?s=s0
- Episode 5 – “Shelter Me: Partners for Life” is hosted by Jon Hamm and features singer-songwriter Emmylou Harris and the incredible work she’s doing to help at-risk youth and homeless pets in her community. We also see a moving segment about fostering pets and an innovative program where police departments recruit shelter dogs for their prestigious K9 units. Trailer: http://www.shelterme.tv/episodes/episode-5/?s=s
“The team at Healthy Paws loves that the Shelter Me Series is all about happy endings and success stories,” said Cynthia Trumpey, Senior Vice President, Healthy Paws Pet Insurance. “The celebrity hosts do an amazing job of making it cool to adopt shelter pets.”
Episode 6, “Shelter Me: Hearts & Paws,” begins airing on PBS on May 25. The show is hosted by Kristen Bell and features Mutts Creator, Patrick McDonnell and the first-ever cat café. The broadcast schedule is listed at ShelterMe.tv.
About Shelter Me
Shelter Me is an inspiring series that celebrates the human-animal bond with uplifting stories about shelter pets. Shelter Me was created and is produced by Steven Latham. The project also includes a website – ShelterMe.com – which enables anyone to create and share profiles of shelter pets to help increase adoptions. Shelter Me works closely with other animal welfare organizations to organize effective spay-neuter and humane education programs and helps develop and implement life-saving projects directly at animal shelters. Follow ShelterMeTV on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
About the Petco Foundation
At the Petco Foundation, we believe that every animal deserves to live its best life. Since 1999, we’ve invested more than $150 million in lifesaving animal welfare work to make that happen. With our more than 4,000 animal welfare partners, we inspire and empower communities to make a difference by investing in adoption and medical care programs, spay/neuter services, pet cancer research, service and therapy animals, and numerous other lifesaving initiatives. Through our Think Adoption First program, we partner with Petco stores and animal welfare organizations across the country to increase pet adoptions. So far, we’ve helped more than 4.5 million pets find their new loving families, and we’re just getting started. Visit www.petcofoundation.org to learn more about how you can get involved.
About Healthy Paws
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance understands how devoted you are to your furry family members. Their #1 customer-rated plan reimburses you for up to 90% of veterinary care for unexpected injuries or illness – so you can focus on your pet’s care without worrying about the bill. With every free pet insurance quote, Healthy Paws makes a donation toward a homeless pet’s medical care. Learn more at www.HealthyPawsPetInsurance.com.
About Healthy Paws Every Quote Gives Hope™ Program
Healthy Paws wanted to address the fundamental need of pet medical care by creating the Healthy Paws Foundation’s Every Quote Gives Hope™ program. The simple act of getting a pet insurance quote from Healthy Paws results in a donation towards a homeless pet’s medical care. We deliver that care by making cash grants to pet adoption organizations specifically for life-saving vaccines, spay/neuter surgeries, and advanced medical treatments. Please visit: healthypawspetinsurance.com/how-we-help.
About Lumina Media
Lumina Media is a leading media company that connects brands with passionate audiences of enthusiasts by providing iconic content across all platforms. With extensive reach and experience, the company’s media engages, informs and inspires, while its platforms ensure the right media is delivered whenever, however and wherever audiences want it. Founded in 2013, Lumina Media is headquartered in Irvine, Calif. For more information, please visit www.luminamedia.com.
Lucky Puppy™ is the company’s new lifestyle brand and publication for people dedicated to doing good by adopting dogs (and cats) and integrating them into their homes. Lucky Puppy is the first lifestyle magazine of its kind to support the pet adoption and integration movement with nationwide coverage. The print and digital editions of Lucky Puppy are published quarterly and distributed for free. The publication is expected to reach one million pet lovers by the end of 2016. The publication represents yet another step in Lumina Media’s continued commitment to the rescue and shelter cause and community. For more information, visit luckypuppymag.com
# # #